Thursday, February 21, 2013

DIY George Washington Wig


What is it about dress-up that kids love so much? My oldest son STILL hasn't outgrown the fun of donning a costume, which is probably why he loved this project so much.

In honor of George Washington's birthday (February 22), we made a wig to replicate his signature grey locks.


Supplies
1 paper grocery bag
cotton balls (you'll need a lot!)
low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
ribbon

How To
I carefully cut the bag to fit my son's head, trimming off excess and gluing folds in places to make the bag smaller and less boxy.

I did my best to cut around his ears and left a tail at the back for George's ponytail.


Now it was time to add "hair." I grabbed a bag of cotton balls from my toiletries and my son began gluing the balls to our paper bag. 



When it was done, he added a bow at the back.



He was so proud of his George Washington wig that he wore it while we read a great book by Suzanne Tripp Jurmain, and even quizzed his Dad when he came home from work; he asked "Who am I?" before my husband had even time to take his coat off!


George Did It! is a great book about our first, somewhat hesitant, president. The book sheds light on the notion that George wasn't exactly excited to be our nation's first leader - in fact, he was downright nervous about disappointing everyone. Painting an emotional account of his worries makes Washington so much more relatable for kids today.

Interested in doing more great George Washington projects? Check out Carla Mooney's George Washington: 25 Great Projects You Can Build Yourself. Our George Washington wig project came straight from the pages of Mooney's book!

7 comments:

  1. I have seen this before on another blog, but I like how you explained how to make it step-by-step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so hilarious and a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun project. We do tons of projects connected with history and haven't studied American history yet. This will be perfect when we do.

    I would love it if you link-up with Hobbies and Handicrafts tomorrow.

    http://highhillhomeschool.blogspot.com/search/label/Hobbies

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this George Washington wig and you are absolutely fabulous. Keep up with similar great post.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this! We are doing this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this as John Hancock hair for a school play. Turned out great. I adapted it to his look.

    ReplyDelete