Friday, October 25, 2013

Spin & Spell {Gross Motor Spelling Practice}


Spelling can be B-O-R-I-N-G. Practice consists of me saying the word and my son reciting the letters … blah, blah, blah …. yadda, yadda, yadda.

Recognizing that my son is a kinesthetic learner, I thought it might be fun to practice spelling in a more active way.

I still recited the words.

But what came next was a whole lot more fun.

My son took a turn with the gross motor spelling spinner I made, flicking the metal paper clip that I threaded through a brad inserted in the center hole.

Whatever it landed on, he did: spelling the word while doing jumping jacks, making arm circles for every vowel, or skiing down imaginary moguls one letter at a time.

This gross motor spelling practice exercised the body AND the brain, and it was fun too!



Download a PDF of the spinner here. Print on sticker paper or glue to a recycled piece of chipboard (e.g. cereal box). Cut out, punch a hole in the center, and use a paper clip and brad to make the spinner. Voila!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great way to get children move as they learn. I am going to pin this post.

    ReplyDelete